Thursday 8 December 2011

Snake Bread

I’m feeling the Wizard of Oz vibe today.  As I look out my window I can see furniture, rubbish and the occasional Umbrella flying around as if frantically seeking their previous owners.   So as the worst Gales in years hit Scotland, what do I do??  Surely it’s clear….I cook!!


Well in-keeping with my current Kansas style I shall bake Bread….BOO!! I hear you cry.  We know how to make Bread!  I know, I know but I’m putting my country spin on my Classic Bread recipe by making my famous Snake Bread.  This clever little recipe is great for parties and your kids will think you’re a God amongst Bakers.


Ingredients:


500g Strong Bread Flour
300ml tepid water – similar temp to baby bath water.
30ml Olive Oil
7g Dried Yeast
Tsp Salt
Tbsp Sugar – optional if you like crispy bread
2 Pepper Corns or 2 cloves – snake eyes

Put all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and combine well (there is no need to gradually add the water as this is a fairly fail-safe recipe).

(Dry ingredients before olive oil and Water is added)

Transfer mixture onto work surface and knead bread for at least 15 mins…..longer if you’re feeling up to it.  You shouldn't need to flour the work surface, a good dough won't stick.



Put kneaded mixture back into the bowl, cover with a damp dishcloth and leave in a warm room/cupboard until it has doubled in size…usually about an hour.

(Dough after it has been proved once)

Once the mixture has proved it should be kneaded again then divided into 16 balls (using a bench scrapper makes this much easier).
(Bench scrapper - about £5 from ebay)


Arrange the balls in a snake formation – 1 for the head, 1 for the tail (made more triangular) and the other 14 should be lined in rows of two…this will form the body.  Use two pepper corns or cloves to create the Snakes eyes.
Again cover the mixture with a damp cloth and place back in the warm room/cupboard for a further 30 mins. 
Finally brush the dough with an egg/milk wash and place in a pre-heated oven until golden brown.  This usually takes around 35 mins at 180/190C.


Once cooked you must immediately remove the bread from the tin and allow to cool on a baking rack……this step is very important as the bread will “sweat” if left in the tin.
After all that make sure you get a photo of your masterpiece before it’s devoured J.  It looks pretty cool but takes hardly any effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment