Saturday 7 January 2012

Just like Mamma used to make.

I started this blog so that I could share my family recipes with the world.  I hope you have enjoyed what I have shared so far however today I am sharing my most secret and delicious recipe.  With this recipe you can create all number of different dishes from Parmigiana to Pasta Fagioli.  My Nonna would kill me but hear we go….


Pomodoro Sauce – The Baronello family recipe
(Tomato Pasta Sauce)


Ingredients

6 cans chopped tomatoes
3 cloves of Garlic
100g (large bunch) fresh Basil
Olive Oil
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Method

In a large bowl process the chopped tomatoes through a Food Mill.  Set aside to be used later.




In a large, heavy based Saucepan heat 3 tbsps of Olive Oil.  Peal and crush the Garlic, add to the Saucepan.  Cook over a low-med heat for 2 minutes.  Do not let the Garlic burn as it will taint the sauce and taste bitter. 



Add the tomatoes, basil and 2 tsps of salt and gently warm until it reaches a gentle simmer.  Note:  Just use the Basil leaves and place them in the sauce whole, do not chop them.



After about 15 minutes check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.  If the tomatoes seem a little tart then add a heaped tsp of Sugar.



Finish by drizzling some Extra virgin Olive Oil over the sauce. 

(I served this with meatballs)

This quantity will serve 8 people so I tend to freeze half and use half.

Such a simple and cheap dish, classic Cucina Povera.

No comments:

Post a Comment